Archive: Mar 2015
In every industry excellence comes with practice and the dissemination of the latest information around trends and processes. Cartons are no different. With several environmental concerns plaguing packaging in general, cartons made of recycled paper have been touted as a compromise between deforestation and non-biodegradable choke up or pollution.
The Paperboard Packaging Council (PPC) is serious about keeping industry related organizations in the U.S and Canada updated in terms of the whole manufacturing time-line of a carton right from paper selection and prepping to customer delivery, without skipping any steps between.
The Folding Carton Boot camp is a bi-annual event. It is generally held once in winter and once during spring with the latter being the more popular edition. However December 2014 saw an unprecedented 35 individuals from companies far and wide attend the Boot Camp to glean knowledge around:
- Paper production
- The different kinds (grades) of paperboard available
- The process of packaging creation
- The intricacies and best practices of using presses to coat the paperboard with ink
- The complexities of the pre-press process
- The utilization of Computer Aided Design (CAD) in creation and visualization of new carton designs and prototypes
- Colour theory and the direct interrelation between ink colour and consumption (absorption) by the different grades of paperboard
- Creasing, windowing and gluing of cartons
June will see an encore of the event and enthusiastic participation is expected by the PPC.
A part of the allure of the Camp, over and above the detailed information and industry insights, lies in the free resources offered. Not only will students receive The Ideas and Innovation Handbook, the will also get their hands on a binder of paper and carton samples and a consolidated glossary of printing terminology to guide their solo efforts.
The Folding Carton Boot Camp is a certification event and participants have the advantage of going over the material discussed in the form of comprehensive take-home PDFs and worksheets.
Paperboard Packaging Council’s President Ben Marken expressed his delight at the keen interest shown in the Boot Camp and hinted at more value to be delivered to future attendees.
M&M Box participates in this PPC event regularly and is proud to invest in itself and its continued quest to be the best in the market.
Posted in: Paperboard